Wednesday, August 6, 2014

My brief story


In 2012 I had my identity stolen. My credit card. My social security number. Everything. I tried my best to get everything back. But with no luck. A few years later and I'm still suffering from the consequences. It was so difficult. On the phone everyday with loan companies or insurance agencies. It never stopped. I could rarely apply to any new applications because my credit was near ruined.

I wanted to pinpoint where I messed up and how I got my identity stolen. I tracked it down with the help of a knowledgeable friend to a nasty computer virus I had. I read How do i know if i have a virus?  It helped me diagnose the fact that I did have a virus.

This was helpful because I didn't realize I had a problem to begin with. I cleared my computer of any problems and then  start working to repair my credit.

However, I kept researching and researching what causes ID theft and who does it, why do they do it.
I read up a lot on various websites, like wikipedia article on ID fraud, cyber crime and so forth. It was a big issue for me because ironically, 5 weeks later, my brothers ID got stolen. was it just a coincidence that mine then his was stolen within a 6 week period? i didn't think so... so i started doing some investigating. how did this happen? i thought to myself.

well, turns out it was cyber crime. yup. my brother logged into his bank account from my computer. i log into my bank account nearly everyday on the same computer. a month later i find out i have a nasty virus. So, no, there was no coincidence in my mind.

I want everyone out there to realize that the internet is a gateway into having your identity stolen, or some sort of financial loss, or some sort of fraud or scam. don't get me wrong, there's a lot of oppurtunities online, but, at times, it can also harm you if you aren't careful. I'll update my blog as i see fit, if I come across anymore articles. I hope I can really help everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment