Saturday, August 23, 2014

facebook fraud

So I am a regular user of Facebook. I use it to maintain relationships with old friends. I think a lot of people use it in this way. But at the same time, I like to stay aware of potential threats that are active on Facebook. Facebook is a huge domain and many hackers thrive on Facebook because they have access to so many people.

For example I was searching some posts on my Facebook wall and I noticed a few messages from my friends that were unusual. They all said they were making money online and to go to this link they posted. I knew both of them personally and both of them were computer illiterate. Obviously their Facebook was hacked or hijacked. This method hackers use has a great success rate because people trust what their friends say!

There's one method called clickjacking, where when a Facebook user clicks a certain link, it automatically posts something onto their Facebook wall. They don't know they are posting anything and they are unaware of the attack. It can be any link, whether it be on Facebook itself or some external links. There's not much you can do to stop this, other than making sure you're aware of what you're clicking on and actively checking your social media accounts. This is so important because last thing you want is your computer being infected and then all your friends being infected as well!

One big thing I'd like to speak of is changing your social media passwords often. Please do this once a month. I know this could be annoying but it's a great safety tip. In the case your passwords are stolen, on the underground blackmarket your information could be traded or sold. If you change your passwords often then these lists are now worthless to hackers.

One last thing I'd like to touch on real quick is never using the same password more than once. Hackers use automated tools to match up one account to the other. I knew someone that had one email account hacked, and his Amazon, Apple, eBay, PayPal account got hacked as well because they were all using the same password! Always change passwords. Use a password remember program if it gets all confusing. This will help save you a lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment